Pantry Must Haves
Okay so here are my list of things that I have stocked in my pantry. This list may seem extensive but it’s truly a great thing to start buying a few things each week and before you know it – your whole pantry will be filled with nourishing ingredients. From these ingredients there is almost nothing you can’t make.
I buy the majority of my staples organically and all my fresh food I buy in an organic co-op so it is seasonal and free from pesticides and chemicals. If this is not running I find a local farmers market or organic produce at markets. Occasionally I buy some nuts that are not organic but never almonds or walnuts as they are so heavily sprayed. Sunflower seeds are another must for me as they are sources mainly in China and are highly toxic if they are not organic.
If you don’t know what any of these ingredients are – then please ask me and I will tell you exactly what it is, why I stock it and how to use it. The only dumb question is the one you don’t ask!
The point of this list is not to overwhelm you but to give you something to work towards in your pantry. If your pantry is stocked correctly then you will eat correctly – it’s that simple. The more you use these ingredients the more you will fall in love with them – especially when you see how nourishing they are and what amazing replacements they can be for conventional refined nutrients starved staples.
Oils ain’t Oils
- Cold Pressed Unrefined Organic Coconut Oil (extra virgin preferably) – Health Food Shop
- Organic Extra Virgin Olive Oil – Supermarket
- Macadamia Oil – Supermarket
- Inca Inchi Oil – On line – Changing Habits website
- Organic unbleached wholemeal spelt flour – Health food shop/online
- Organic unbleached self raising spelt flour – health food shop
- Organic Coconut Flour – Health food shop
- Almond Meal – Make your own by grinding almonds.
- Organic Buckwheat Kernals ( buy the kernels and grind into flour yourself to avoid oxidisation) – Woolworths
- Organic Whole Wheat Flour – Health food shop
- Organic Maple Syrup – Supermarket
- Rapadura Sugar – Health food shop
- Coconut Sugar – Health food shop
- Dates – Supermarket
- Sweet Potato – Supermarket
- Raw Organic honey – Supermarket
- Manuka honey – supermarket
- Organic Rice Malt Syrup – Health Food Shop
- Organic Coconut Nectar – Health Food Shop
Nuts & Seeds
(If buying organic from health food shop/ online or cheaper to buy in bulk from co/ops) If buying conventional can buy from the supermarket/market)
- Raw Cashews
- Pumpkin Seeds
- Sunflower seeds
- Chia seeds
- Brazil Nuts
Herbs & Spices
- Himalayan Sea Salt or Murray River Salt – Health Food Shop
- Cinnamon (pure not ceylon)
- Garam Masala
- Nutritional Yeast – health food shop
- Herbamere – health food section – supermarket
- Moroccon Spices
- Medjool dates – Buying organic is an ethical decision I make to preserve the natural habitat of the orangatangs but conventional available from most supermarkets/markets.
- Dried Figs – preservative 202 free – Health food shop
- Dried Apricots – preservative 202 free – Health food shop
- Sultanas & Raisins – preservative 202 free – Supermarket does sell.
- Goji Berries – Health Food shop or sometimes supermarket – I prefer organic
- Organic Tamari – Can now be found in supermarkets in health food section.
- Organic Seeded Mustard – Supermarket – health food section
- Organic Hulled Tahini – Supermarket – health food section
- Aluminium free bicarb of soda – Health food shop
- Raw Organic Cacao powder – Health food shop
- Raw Organic Cacao Nibs – Health food shop
- Organic Coconut Shredded – Health food shop/supermarket
- Coconut Milk – full fat – Supermarket – Asian section/healthfood shop
- Coconut cream – full fat – Supermarket – Asian Section/healthfood shop
- Lentils (red, brown, green) – Supermarket, health food shop. market
- Brown Rice – Supermarket/health food shop
- Brown Rice Noodles – Health food shop
- Red Kidney Beans – supermarket
- Vanilla Extract (not essence!) – great organic one at coles and woolies in baking section.
- Vanilla Bean – market
Happy Pantry Stocking! If you want to keep up to date with nourishing recipes make sure you sign up for our free recipe access now!